We have moved, for all those who might read this and wonder what's become of us for the past month. And for anyone who hasn't moved in the past decade, let me remind you of one of the little joys of moving: cleaning light switches. Isn't it funny that in keeping up with the day-to-day mass of life's joys and trials we forget about something so little? Admittedly, I'm not a perfectionista when it comes to cleaning; I get the basics done and move on --until the minutae build up and I can't ignore them anymore, but that, happily, usually takes quite awhile to happen.
Except when you're moving. Then all the minutae combine with all the major stuff as well as the day-to-day stuff (dishes don't stop just because you're moving -bummer! =), and you end up with a whole heap of chores you think will just never stop. And then you finally finish, and go to flip off the lights for perhaps the last time and notice there's a small bit of chocolate pudding on the light switch from last week. Then you look closer and notice dirty fingerprints, possibly from coming in from playing in the park, and then there's just plain old dust along the top because it's one of those switch plates that's just high enough for kids to flip the switch on and off ten times each time they come into the room, but too tall for them to reach the top. So you have to scrounge up that last rag you just tossed into the very last garbage bag so you can scrub up the light switch (and then go check every other light switch in the house), then toss the rag again.
Or maybe it's just me.
12 years ago
5 comments:
Becky, I'm so glad you're back!!! I've been wanting to tell you -- I have a Rose sock, so if you e-mail me your address I'll send it to you in Idaho.
I can totally relate! But it sounds like you've had a lot of fun, judging by the light switches. :) We're trying some new things this summer, like rearranging bedrooms, that we've never done before. Hopefully we'll be able to make some chocolate-pudding-on-the-light-switch memories!
Becky,
I'm sorry you had to move again already. I hope it went smoothly. Let me know your new info in Idaho.
Yeah, so moving again wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst, either. We made some good memories, as you can tell. :) And Natalie, I'd love to have Rose's sock back, thanks! I'm glad it didn't get eaten up by the sock-monster who keeps getting one of all of our pairs around here. Seriously, a real house (not apartment, like we're used to) has those! And other monsters too! Periodically some random thing or other will go missing. I'm not losing my mind, I promise! It just all-of-a-sudden is not there, and does anybody know where it is? Nope. I'm not losing my mind, right? This happens to other people, right?
Riiiiiight. Uh-huh.
By the way, the sock is coming...
Post a Comment