Sunday, May 4, 2008

Memories at Church

I have lots of memories at church, some pleasant, some not-so-pleasant (like being taken out of the chapel because I was making too much noise and being made to sit quietly with arms folded in a side room to practice being reverent). But today we got there a little late (just five minutes, I promise!), so we opted for the seats way up front (where we usually don't sit; those who know, have seen, or have heard of the squirmy-ness of little boys will understand)--they were about the only ones left. We were right in front of the organ, and I noticed that the organist was playing in her stockinged feet, as I remember my own mother doing when she was asked to play the organ. It was unexpected!, and so sweet. I hadn't thought about that in a long while, but I couldn't help thinking about watching my mother playing the organ -all through the opening hymn. *note: I tried to learn to play the organ, even taking a class in college, but alas, the gift was not with me. Everything I played seemed to come out sounding like I was at a funeral. Oh well, I tried!*

Another memory I recalled last week (many weeks, actually...) is that of singing the bass line with my father. To be honest, when I was little, I thought the alto line was for old ladies because my mom always sang it (sorry Mom, it's the cold truth). So when I got a little older, I wanted to be adventurous, so I started trying to sing like my dad. And it was fun! I still really like to sing the bass line during the hymns, and during certain ones I can still kinda hear his voice in my ear as I'm singing. *note: Not too long ago I was actually talking with Dad about this, and he asked if I would sing bass at his funeral. Sobering thought! I did ask him if he was planning on going anywhere anytime soon... He said no.*

I also remember various paper games, origami for awhile (until Mom thought they were becoming toys, taboo at church for our family), then nesting paper boxes, then the dots game. You know the one: you draw dots in rows and then take turns drawing lines between the dots to make squares, then put your initial in. There's also the one where you write down words that you expect the speakers to say, and put tally marks under the words when you hear them. Good, quiet fun.

Let me know what yours are!

3 comments:

smileynann said...

I have to say, I always liked trying out all the different parts in the hymnbook. I really liked the tenor line, because sometimes it sounds like an obligato. However, to my dismay, I do not like it when Joel tries out all the parts -- because he sings the alto and soprano parts falsetto, and it freaks me out! Since then, we've come to an understanding -- no falsetto at church. It just sounds like mocking. And I don't use my opera voice at church. Still mocking. But it's always fun to sit by Joel and hear another part, while I'm singing something cool, too!

Anonymous said...

This is Karen: Okay, three of my "favorite" church moments are not necessarily good memories, just days that I remember very distinctly. First off, there was a couple that were both somewhat socially awkward in my Pocatello singles ward. When he gave a talk, he "likened the scriptures unto us" by reading a set of scriptures he had made, a 15 minute reading of the Paper Plates of Carolyn (his girlfriend, name has been changed) that went something to the effect of "Yea, verily, Carolyn thus got up in the morning and it came to pass that she did eat cereal, and it was good in the sight of Carolyn." etc etc.!!!! They got engaged soon thereafter. Guess it was endearing to her.

Second, and probably Natalie will remember this one, was in a Rexburg singles ward. There was a girl who had to keep her blood sugar well above the danger zone. Well, one Fast Sunday, she hadn't been careful, and she got up to bear her testimony, which was nice. But in the aisle on her way back to her seat, she collapsed. Like a brick. With no warning. Fainted, I guess, but it sure caused a commotion. No one knew what was going on and it was only later we found out why she had dropped.

The last one is the best, though. In my ward here in Baltimore, we get some interesting people that wander in off the streets sometimes. They all create interesting stories, but not really noteworthy here. Well, this particular lady was dressed in her Sunday best and sat meekly, so nobody thought she'd do anything. Halfway through sacrament meeting, she started fussing and muttering about how hot it was. And quick as you can blink, she stripped off her blouse. We call this memory Doug's Sunday, because his mom was visiting that week. He was sitting behind her. Nice guy that he is, after his eyes grew two sizes, he so graciously helped her out into the hall so she could feel the breeze from outside and cool off and wander away.

There you go, kiddies. Good times. Oh, and by the way, who's to say that those games are only for kids? I still play every single one of them at least once every month or so. In fact, just three weeks ago, I made a snowflake with the program! I sent it to Seth. Hope he likes it.

B and BO said...

Oh, my goodness, I'm glad there are no ladies like that here!!
So you carry scissors in your scripture case just to cut up the program? :) jk Did Seth like it? Don't give him any ideas! (sorry, that's the mother in me... :)